What is Pharma Brexit Brief?
It is a living source of updated brief key points to watch for the pharmaceutical industry on Brexit, “deal” or “no-deal” resolution. Pharma Brexit Brief is a single source of information to refer to.
Brexit´s Key Impact Aspects on Pharmaceutical Industry:
- Labor: UK is the third largest country in the EU (after Germany and Switzerland) to utilize pharmaceutical R&D funds of pharmaceutical companies. The UK is also ranked among the top 10 EU countries by drug manufacturing capabilities and production output.
- SPC Waiver and Manufacturing: EU countries become more attractive for pharmaceutical manufacturing than third countries. More on the new 2019 SPC Manufacturing Waiver here.
- EMA: European Medical Agency already moved to Amsterdam, as of March 1, 2019. Approval decisions are no longer taken in London.
- Trade, including parallel trade: will be affected.
- Logistics: Only two ports at present, Dover and Folkestone, are the main gateways for the import of pharmaceutical products in The UK. Six new ports are now planned to support the critical imports of pharmaceuticals. Decision here.
Dates to Watch:
- Originally, EP elections, 23-26 May 2019
- Update: Brexit process closure target date is now October 31, 2019
Possible Brexit Developments, Quick Figures